Sunday, June 26, 2011

A little decorating news

It's been two weeks since my last post and I think this has been the longest I've gone between posts in nearly 5 years. I miss you all! There's been a lot of great things happening on my side of the planet which I can't wait to share!

I've several projects in various stages development. I've been working on a living room plan for a young couple who wants more sitting and lounging room in their living room, plus improved wall storage and display. Here are two of the plans for the wall cabinetry that includes a fireplace and the television and components hidden behind the cabinets on the right. Currently, all these shelves are open and the television set is above the fireplace. The first plan shows 2/3 height doors with open shelving above.


In this version, we pulled out the cabinetry on the bottom 18" to be flush with the projection of the hearth to create bench seating and hide the a/v equipment. A second set of recessed cabinets is above hiding the television set. And over top is open shelving to the ceiling for display. The ceilings are relatively low, so the floor to ceiling cabinetry will help draw the eye upwards, giving a feeling of height.


Below is a sketch I did of a custom tufted sofa with over scale ottoman to create a versatile and modular sofa/chaise.  Ultimately, this was nixed due to the high cost, but it was fun to flesh out the design and get it quoted from my upholsterer.
Another new project I've been working on is a home for a retired couple who will be using the house when they aren't wintering in southern climes or staying at their beach cottage on the outer Cape. This is part of the first floor plan. The colors are not set in stone yet, but I do like the idea of blue and cream for the sun porch.  We are selecting wall colors, ordering Plantation shutters for the windows, new sofas and dining room set, carpeting in the bedrooms and loft space. They are using some of what they already own and we're mixing in new pieces.



I've also just started a new beach house project which I am incredibly excited about. It's such a new project that I don't have drawings or floorplans done yet, but it's going to include a new kitchen, entry way, mudroom wall, lavatory, dining room and living room that has three distinct areas. One of the areas is a tiny step-down place that has a small vaulted ceiling. My plan is for a private reading nook with library shelves and a super comfy built-in day bed that will also provide extra over-night sleeping accommodations. We're meeting at the cabinetry shop this week to select styles and finishes for the kitchen and then we'll be off and running.   One thing I am loving about this project is that it's going to be comfortable and casual, appropriate for the age of the house and the beachy atmosphere of the neighborhood. Yet, with all that it will still be pretty!





I've been doing a lot of freelance writing recently and wanted to share some articles that have been published around the country:

Six Window Dressing Tips from a Design Pro - Chicago Tribune & LA Times



Have you been watching Million Dollar Decorators? I think it's a gas and, in its own crazy way, very inspiring.  It's fun to watch such high end decorators have all the same problems the rest of us do and to hear them say "I know what's right". While it sometimes sounds very pushy, the reality is that people hire design professionals because they want the job done right and said professional will stand up for what he or she feels is the right choice. Btw, I may be interviewing one of the decorators later this week, if we can make the schedule work!


What are you doing for the Fourth? I am headed out to Tanglewood at the end of this week. James Taylor is performing with the Boston Pops on Friday night and I will be there with bells on and a picnic on the lawn!

Whew. Well, hopefully this won't be my last post of the week, but if it is, you'll know what I'm up to!



If you would like my help on your design project, I would love to chat with you! Please email me. Thanks!
 Subscribe to ::Surroundings::

No comments:

Post a Comment